If you need help, we offer free, confidential counselling to family and friends who are affected by someone else’s problem gambling or gambling addiction. Read more about who we see…
If you are trying to broach the subject of gambling with someone you care about, there are some tips that may help:
- Be casual and conversational (no confrontation nor accusation)
- Express concern for the person. eg, “I have noticed…. I am worried about you. Are you ok?”
- Listen carefully, repeat to the person what you hear them saying, this will help the person feel understood
- If the response is resistant, accept this; you can offer to talk if the person wishes to in the future, don’t argue
- Refrain from giving advice about gambling and addiction
- If appropriate, offer information about help services and counselling.
If you are not sure what to do – just ask! We are here to help.